Parent Resource Coordinator
FHSD's Parent Resource Coordinator, Alycia Champion, manages the BRIDGES parent support group and provides information on special education processes, laws, support groups and resources to parents and the district so both can work collaboratively to help each child be successful. She is the parent of a child with special needs and therefore has a shared perspective that helps her address questions and concerns with compassion, as well as provide valuable assistance to parents.
Introducing Village Connections
A FHSD Special Education Community
Families of students with special needs know that information and support come from many sources. Many of us depend on those who have a child with similar needs for support and many families will seek information from others who are further along on the path we are traveling.
Last school year, the FHSD Parent Advisory Team identified the need for ongoing opportunities for these families to connect to share information and support. This year, Village Connections, an information sharing and support community, will meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. in the Learning Commons at Nagel Middle School. There will be a general topic for each session with informational resources available.
Topics and Dates for the 2021-22 School Year:
October 13th - Future Planning -Creating a Purposeful Plan
November 11th -Sensory Friendly Everything! Lifehacks from Parents of Children with Special Needs
December 8th - Finding Balance with a Child with Special Needs
January 12th -Things I Wish I knew - Best Advice I received from an Experienced Parent
February 9th -Summer Activities
March 9th - Social Skills-Tips and Tricks for Building Relationships
April 13th - Building Independence at Home
May 11th - Spring into Fall - Planning for the following School Year
Transitioning to Nagel, Anderson, or Turpin This Year?
Here are some answers to families' frequently asked questions when moving on to Nagel, Anderson, or Turpin.
For Parents New to Special Education
Ohio Parent Mentor's Presentation Special Education Eligibility & the Evaluation Process
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center shares upcoming events here.
- Mercer Trunk or Treat - Saturday, October 30th at 3:00 p.m.
- Kids Exploring Fun - How to Create Spider Webs, Saturday October 9th, from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Kids Exploring Fun - Origani Wall Art - Saturday, October 2nd, 2021
- Special Education FAQ
- A Guide to Parent Rights in Special Education
- Ohio Operating Standards for Students for the Education of Children with Disabilities, a guide to state rule and regulations for students with disabilities in Ohio.
- Lending library - books, videos, magazines and other resources focused on various disabilities and available through the Parent Resource Coordinator
- Family Resource Network - special education information, links and other resources
- "Who Are Parent Resource Coordinators and BRIDGES Parent Representatives?"
- The Center for Parent Information & Resources - nation-wide hub dedicated to sharing information with families and parent centers who serve families of children with disabilities
- The Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities - Ohio's parent center
Past BRIDGES Presentations
- Recognizing Signs of Depression and What to Do About It (February, 2019)
- Navigating Social Norms - March 2018 parent presentation
- Targeting Daily Living Skills in Children and Adolescents -- January 2018 parent presentation
- Sensory Processing Skills and Self-Regulation -- November 2017 parent presentation
- When Behavior Is a Challenge -- March 2017 parent presentation
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports and Response to Intervention - November 2016 parent presentation
- Understanding Sensory Integration - October 2019
- Supporting Your Student's Executive Functioning - February 2020
- 3/21/20 Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Service Children with Disabilities
- United States Department of Education FAQ on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities during COVID-19
- Fact Sheet: Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students
Ohio Department of Education Guidance
- COVID-19 Information for Ohio’s Schools and Districts -then click the button labeled serving students with disabilities
- Special Education Return to Learn Guidance (Aug 2020)
- FHSD Guidance & Parent Update related to COVID-19 closures (May 2020)
- FHSD Guidande for Special Education Instruction/Access during the COVID-19 Updated 3/30/2020
- FHSD Remote Learning FAQ for Families of Students with Disabilities
- supporting parents through the Special Education process
- attending IEP, ETR, or other meetings per parent or school request
- providing a lending library of books, videos, magazines and other resources focused on various disabilities
- work with parents to address issues and concerns
- sharing information and resources about a specific disability
- making referrals to other sources of support
- BRIDGES, a Forest Hills School District support group that provides informational and emotional support for families of children who are struggling in school or utilize an IEP (Individual Education Program) or a 504 plan
Parent Resource Coordinator
7946 Beechmont Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45255
513-231-3600, ext. 2946