Parent Resource Coordinator
FHSD's Parent Resource Coordinator, Alycia Champion provides information on special education processes, laws, and resources to families and the district so both can work collaboratively to help each child be successful. She can attend ETR and IEP meetings as extra parent support. She facilitates Village Connections, a district-wide special education information and support community that meets monthly. She is the parent of a child with autism giving her a shared perspective that helps address questions and concerns with compassion while providing valuable informational assistance to families.
Special Education One-Stop Resource for Families
A FHSD Special Education Community
Village Connections, an information-sharing and support community, meets on the second Wednesday of each month in the Nagel Learning Commons from 6:00-7:00. Each session is topic-driven and resources will be available. Join us as we kick off the 2022-23 school year with a Village Connections Social on September 14th at Julifs Park!
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center shares upcoming events here.
- Special Education FAQ
- A Guide to Parent Rights in Special Education
- Ohio Operating Standards for Students for the Education of Children with Disabilities, a guide to state rule and regulations for students with disabilities in Ohio.
- Family Resource Network - special education information, links and other resources
- "Who Are Parent Resource Coordinators and BRIDGES Parent Representatives?"
- The Center for Parent Information & Resources - nation-wide hub dedicated to sharing information with families and parent centers who serve families of children with disabilities
- The Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities - Ohio's parent center
Past BRIDGES Presentations
- Recognizing Signs of Depression and What to Do About It (February, 2019)
- Navigating Social Norms - March 2018 parent presentation
- Targeting Daily Living Skills in Children and Adolescents -- January 2018 parent presentation
- When Behavior Is a Challenge -- March 2017 parent presentation
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports and Response to Intervention - November 2016 parent presentation
- Understanding Sensory Integration - October 2019
- Supporting Your Student's Executive Functioning - February 2020
- supporting parents through the Special Education process
- attending IEP, ETR, or other meetings per parent or school request
- providing a lending library of books, videos, magazines and other resources focused on various disabilities
- work with parents to address issues and concerns
- sharing information and resources about a specific disability
- making referrals to other sources of support
- BRIDGES, a Forest Hills School District support group that provides informational and emotional support for families of children who are struggling in school or utilize an IEP (Individual Education Program) or a 504 plan
Parent Resource Coordinator
7946 Beechmont Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45255
513-231-3600, ext. 2946