Parent Resource Coordinator
FHSD's Parent Resource Coordinator, Alycia Champion, manages the BRIDGES parent support group and provides information on special education processes, laws, support groups and resources to parents and the district so both can work collaboratively to help each child be successful. She is the parent of a child with special needs and therefore has a shared perspective that helps her address questions and concerns with compassion, as well as provide valuable assistance to parents.
- supporting parents through the Special Education process
- attending IEP, ETR, or other meetings per parent or school request
- providing a lending library of books, videos, magazines and other resources focused on various disabilities
- work with parents to address issues and concerns
- sharing information and resources about a specific disability
- making referrals to other sources of support
- BRIDGES, a Forest Hills School District support group that provides informational and emotional support for families of children who are struggling in school or utilize an IEP (Individual Education Program) or a 504 plan
Informational Article of the Month:
August: Some children and teens don't like to share information about their day. How you approach these conversations affects the responses you'll receive from your child. This article has great suggestions on how to make these conversations easier and more effective.
UPCOMING BRIDGES EVENTS
We're planning for the 2019-20 school year. Email Alycia Champion firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions on speakers and topics.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Ohio Operating Standards for Students for the Education of Children with Disabilities, a guide to state rule and regulations for students with disabilities in Ohio.
Lending library - books, videos, magazines and other resources focused on various disabilities and available through the Parent Resource Coordinator
Family Resource Network - special education information, links and other resources
The Center for Parent Information & Resources - nation-wide hub dedicated to sharing information with families and parent centers who serve families of children with disabilities
The Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities - Ohio's parent center
Past BRIDGES Presentations
Recognizing Signs of Depression and What to Do About It (February, 2019)
Navigating Social Norms - March 2018 parent presentation
Targeting Daily Living Skills in Children and Adolescents -- January 2018 parent presentation
Sensory Processing Skills and Self-Regulation -- November 2017 parent presentation
When Behavior Is a Challenge -- March 2017 parent presentation
Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports and Response to Intervention - November 2016 parent presentation
Parent Resource Coordinator
7946 Beechmont Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45255
513-231-3600, ext. 2946