The FHSD preschool program is designed to meet the diverse needs of all students by creating an engaging community of learners ages 3- to 5-years- old. Students must be 3-years old by Sept. 30 of the enrolling school year to be eligible. Classes are comprised of children with a wide range of abilities including children who are developing typically and children with identified special needs. The Ohio Department of Education requires all children entering the program to participate in speech/language, cognitive skills, gross/fine motor skills, and social-emotional behavior screenings. Students with disabilities attend preschool tuition-free as part of a free and appropriate education. FHSD uses an online lottery system for acceptance in to preschool.
FHSD uses an online lottery system for acceptance into preschool. The lottery will be open Feb. 27 through March 5. The lottery drawing will take place on March 6. FHSD will contact parents on March 6 to let them know if their child has been drawn in the lottery. Parents of students who were drawn in the lottery will have one week to complete registration and pay a tuition deposit of $100. Students who are not drawn in the lottery will be placed on a wait list.
Click here for information on application and registration (must be selected in the lottery before you can register)
Additional program details
- Located at Sherwood Elementary and Summit Elementary
- 14 students per class
- Operates Monday through Thursday with morning sessions from 9:10 a.m. to 11:55 a.m. and afternoon sessions from 12:55 p.m. to 3:40 p.m.
- Curriculum is guided by the Ohio Department of Education’s Early Learning and Development Standards that focus on social-emotional, cognitive, language, literacy and motor development
- Individual student goals are embedded within play and daily routines and are facilitated by observant, responsive adults
- Daily schedule include group time, snacks, music appreciation, dramatic play, large muscle development, and small muscle development
- Parents are responsible for providing transportation for non-disabled children
- $1,800 tuition
The Hamilton County Educational Service Center operates a Head Start program at Mercer Elementary for children ages 3- to 5-years- old. The half-day classes taught by qualified early childhood teachers are intended to help children enter kindergarten ready to learn. The morning session operates from 8 a.m-11:30 a.m. and the afternoon session operates from 12:10 p.m.-3:40 p.m. Nutritious meals and snacks are provided as a component of this comprehensive program.
The program is free to families who meet certain income guidelines. For more information and to enroll, call HCESC at 513-674- 4329 or visit http://hcescheadstart.org/.
7946 Beechmont Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45255
513-231-3600, ext. 2965
Special Needs Transportation: 513-231-3335
Head Start: 513-674-4329 (Hamilton County Educational Service Center)