Through technology and a Bring Your Own Device program, Forest Hills provides additional resources, experiences and meaningful learning opportunities that engage students and allow them to fully explore subjects and interests. Learning in FHSD is not limited by the walls of the classroom; students connect, collaborate and create with their peers locally and around the country and world, as well as learn from guest instructors, such as astronomers from Pasedena, CA. Students engage in creative, high-level thinking as they create multimedia book trailers, stop-motion movies and interactive presentations, as well as participate special events such as Global Read Aloud, which provided the opportunity for students to read and discuss books with other students across the globe. Students are empowered through a self-directed educational experience that allows them to access learning anytime and anywhere, and prepares them for the digital world that awaits them after graduation.
- Deliver state-of-the-art instruction and global access to information in a safe, yet compelling, environment through a robust infrastructure designed and deployed to deliver the capabilities needed for 21st century learning
- Provide the tools necessary to support and enhance a new generation of learners as well as operational staff
- Provide supports to students and staff so that they understand and can maximize the tools available to them
Every district building offers a wireless infrastructure to which students and staff connect. All students (and parents/guardians of students who are minors) are required to agree to a Student Technology Acceptable Use Agreement before accessing the district network or wifi.
Information from the internet is filtered before it reaches the district or student wifi. Once the data is received by the district, it goes through a physical appliance that offers additional filtering. In essence, internet content and data is filtered twice before reaching any student device on district wifi. Although a full-proof filter doesn’t exist due to the exponential growth of the internet, the district will continue to upgrade filters and firewalls to offer as many protections as possible to ensure responsible use of the internet and wifi.
Forest Hills approves all software through a formal approval process that ensures that software is appropriate for students, particular age groups, is consistent with the FHSD curriculum and meets accessibility standards. If a software does not meet accessibility standards, an equitable alternative will be provided.
The district follows the following hardware model:
- Preschool: one iPad for every five students
- Kindergarten: one iPad for every four students
- Grade 1: one iPad for every student
- Grades 2-6: one Chromebook for every student
- Grades 7-12: Bring Your Own Device and device rental (rental is $50 per semester)