Information for 6th Grade Families about the Transition to Nagel
March 22, 2023
The following letter was sent via email on Tuesday, March 21, 2023 to current 6th grade families in Forest Hills School District. Nagel Middle School Principal Tiffany Brennan shared important information about the coming transition to middle school that will be helpful for students and their families.
Welcome to the Nagel Experience
6th Grade Families!
We enjoyed meeting many of you last night during Parent Academy and the Nagel 101 session. Nagel Middle School is committed to every student having a strong sense of hope and belonging that helps connect them with their peers. Providing a safe and nurturing environment is critical to our students feeling confident and being their most authentic self. Part of this process is providing our families with the information needed to support their student's transition to middle school.
While we met with over 250 families last night, we know that some aren't able to attend and we want to share the most important information with all of you. We are including links to the documents that were shared last night, including:
- The Nagel Experience Overview: outlines the 7th grade experience, including dates for WEB Orientation
- Nagel 101: slide deck from the parent information session
- SAMPLE Encore Preference Sheet: example of what students will bring home and use to guide their preferences for 2023-2024
- Math Pathways: shows the 6-12 math progression; your student's elementary teacher will make a math recommendation for 7th grade.
Below are important next steps for your 7th grader:
- This week the Nagel team will meet with the 6th graders to overview the 7th grade experience and explain the Encore Preference Sheet.
- Your child should bring home the Encore Preference Sheet for you to review with them. This also includes a link to the course guide.
- Next week your child will complete a Google form to choose whether they will take a performing arts encore and list their top 3 preferred quarter-long encores as well as their least preferred quarter-long encore.
You also have the option to complete a 7th Grade Parent Sharing Form. Please share anything you believe is important for us to know about your student as we prepare to welcome them to the Nagel Nation.
We look forward to seeing you at our spring events. If you or your student has any questions, please do not hestiate to reach out to us.
Special thank you to The Lyon Group for partnering with the Forest Hills Foundation for Education to support the middle school transition.
Here are some photos from Nagel Information Night at FHSD's Parent Academy on Monday, March 20, 2023: