Parent Resource Coordinator
Village Connections - An FHSD Special Education Community
Join the Village Connections Group at the FHSD Parent Academy.
Village Connections will meet on the Parent Academy Nights from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Nagel Middle School.
Thursday, October 12
Thursday, November 30
Wednesday, January 24
Wednesday, February 28
FHSD's Parent Resource Coordinator, Alycia Champion provides information on special education processes, laws, and resources to families and the district so both can work collaboratively to help each child be successful. She can attend ETR and IEP meetings as extra parent support. She facilitates Village Connections, a district-wide special education information and support community that meets monthly. She is the parent of a child with autism giving her a shared perspective that helps address questions and concerns with compassion while providing valuable informational assistance to families.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Family Fun Day
- Hamilton County Special Olympics is hosting a Family Fun Day at Sharon Woods on Saturday, October 14 from 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. for school age students (8-22 years old). This is a great event for your students and their families to learn about all the programs we have to offer with Hamilton County Special Olympics. There will be plenty of games, music, and fun to go around. Please share the link below to your students and their families and we hope to see you all there!
- Family Fun Day Event Link.
- Special Education FAQ
- A Guide to Parent Rights in Special Education
- Ohio Operating Standards for Students for the Education of Children with Disabilities, a guide to state rule and regulations for students with disabilities in Ohio.
- Ohio Department of Education State Support Team 13 Family Resources - special education information, links and other resources
- The Center for Parent Information & Resources - nation-wide hub dedicated to sharing information with families and parent centers who serve families of children with disabilities
- The Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities - Ohio's parent center
- FHSD Tutor List - This is intended to be a helpful resource for families. Keep in mind that tutors listed in this resource list are not endorsed by the Forest Hills School District. The selection of a tutor is a private arrangement between families and tutors.
Past VILLAGE CONNECTION Presentations
- Recognizing Signs of Depression and What to Do About It (February, 2019)
- Navigating Social Norms - March 2018 parent presentation
- Targeting Daily Living Skills in Children and Adolescents -- January 2018 parent presentation
- When Behavior Is a Challenge -- March 2017 parent presentation
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports and Response to Intervention - November 2016 parent presentation
- Understanding Sensory Integration - October 2019
- Supporting Your Student\'s Executive Functioning - February 2020
- supporting parents through the Special Education process
- attending IEP, ETR, or other meetings per parent or school request
- providing a lending library of books, videos, magazines and other resources focused on various disabilities
- work with parents to address issues and concerns
- sharing information and resources about a specific disability
- making referrals to other sources of support
- BRIDGES, a Forest Hills School District support group that provides informational and emotional support for families of children who are struggling in school or utilize an IEP (Individual Education Program) or a 504 plan
Parent Resource Coordinator
7946 Beechmont Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45255
513-231-3600, ext. 2946